The activity of the Laboratory is focused on the study for the characterization and preservation of the materials of the cultural heritage. Five main research objectives are pursued:
- Materials characterization by means of non-destructive and micro-destructive techniques,
- Study and evaluation of the degradation mechanisms of historic and contemporary materials,
- Set-up and evaluation of restoration methodologies for the cleaning, consolidation and surface protection,
- Monitoring of the durability and efficacy of the restoration treatments,
- Consultancy activity to private conservators, restorers, private contractors and public authorities involved in preservation/restoration plans.