Giuseppina Raffaini received the Laurea in Chimica (5 years degree in Chemistry) at the Università degli Studi di Milano, the post-graduate Diploma of the Scuola di Specializzazione in Scienza dei Polimeri "G. Natta" (Post-graduate School in Polymer Science) at Politecnico di Milano, the Interuniversity Master in Biomaterials conferred by CIRMIB (Interuniversity Centre for Research on Materials for Biomedical Engineering), the PhD cum laude in Materials Engineering at Politecnico di Milano, where in 2008 she became Assistant Professor and in 2014 Associate Professor.
Her research interests are the atomistic simulations based on Molecular Mechanics and Molecular Dynamics methods of:
1) protein adsorption on biomaterial surfaces (carbon nanotubes, SWNT, TiO2 polymorphs, amorphous polymer surfaces), surface phenomena (coating stability and wettability),
2) adsorption of chiral molecules, possible drug carriers, on double-stranded DNA,
3) conformational study of biological and synthetic macromolecules, supramolecular complexes; inclusion complexes for solubilization of hydrophobic anticancer drugs, self-aggregation of anphiphilic cyclodextrins,
4) separation of chiral organic molecules with chiral single-walled carbon nanotubes,
5) organic inhibitors of corrosion induced by chlorides in concrete.
She is co-author of 58 original peer-reviewed ISI papers (H-index = 22), three invited reviews, 5 contributions to books.
She gave seven invited lectures at National and International Conferences, in which she received two Certificate of Recognition for phenomenal and worthy oral presentation. Moreover, she presented her scientific results in several other oral and poster communications (about 45 oral communications and 35 poster communications) at national and international meetings.