2004: PhD. Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano
1999: M.S. Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano
2018: Full Professor, Politecnico di Milano
2014-2018: Associate Professor, Politecnico di Milano
2007-2014: Assistant Professor, Politecnico di Milano
Detailed kinetics of combustion and formation of pollutants (NOx, PAH, soot). Mechanism validation and reduction. Heterogeneous combustion of liquids (droplets) and solids (detailed modeling at the particle size). Kinetic modeling of fuel effect on the autoignition and pollutants formation in internal combustion engines. Numerical fluidynamics of reactive flows. Turbulence/kinetics interactions. CFD modelling of turbulent combustion in furnaces, gas turbines and combustors for aero-engines. Tunnel fire safety.
2016- : Coordinator of PhD school in Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano
Fellowship and Awards
- 2013: Invited speaker at the workshop “The International Workshop on Frontiers of Combustion Chemistry” organized by the National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory of the University of Science and Technology of China
- 2012: Sugden Award 2012, awarded by the from British Section of the Combustion Institute, for the paper: G. Dixon-Lewis, P. Marshall, B. Ruscic, A. Burcat, E. Goos, A. Cuoci, A. Frassoldati, T. Faravelli, P. Glarborg "Inhibition of hydrogen oxidation by HBr and Br2", Combustion and Flame, vol. 159 pp. 528-540
- 2010: “Feature Article” in the Combustion and Flame edition of number 157
Supervision of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows
Advisor/co-advisor of more than 20 theses in Chemical, aerospace and energy engineering at Politecnico di Milano, including two visiting PhD students from abroad.
Summary of Academic achievements
• Alessio Frassoldati’s research has led to 128 refereed journal or book publications, 1 co-edited book, 1 patent (Flameless boiler for producing hot water. Patent n° EP 2592362A1), 4 invited conference presentations at international symposia or schools. His papers are published in combustion, chemistry and engineering journals.
• Citation Data (Oct 2017): Total Citations > 2120; H-index = 29 (Scopus). 8 papers over 100 citations.
- 2017– : Chemical Projects Engineering
- 2014– : Theory of Errors and Applied Statistics
- 2016– : Fundamentals of Combustion
- 2013–2015: Combustion and Pollutants Formation
- 2010–2016: Chemical Plants (Chemical Plants and Processes)
- 2005–2009: Chemical Plants for energy and the environment
- 2009–2012: Pollutant Formation from Combustion Processes
Selected evaluation service, editorial & conference organization activities
- 2017: Co-chair for the WIP Poster Session of the 37th International Combustion Symposium
- 2013- : Colloquia co-chair for the session “Reaction Kinetics of Combustion” at the Mediterranean Combustion Symposium (2013,2015,2017)
- 2014- : Members for Bernard Lewis Fellowship Committee of the International Combustion Institute
- 2012: Chairman at the international workshop on Rapid Compression Machines: "From RCMs to Predictive Engine Simulations" (August 27-29th, ANL USA)
- 2011–2016: Member of the Board of the Italian Section of the Combustion Institute
Since 2007, my activities have received extensive funding, from various national, international and industrial sources: European Union (FP7, H2020, MSCA, COST), MIUR (Italian Ministry of University and Research), Brembo SpA, Danieli SpA, Engitec Technologies S.p.A, KT – Kinetics Technology S.pA., Riello S.p.A., Strada dei Parchi SpA, Technip Benelux B.V., totaling over 650 k€.
- Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Stagni, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Skeletal kinetic mechanism for diesel combustion (2017) Combustion Theory and Modelling, 21 (1), pp. 79-92.
- Frassoldati, A., D'Errico, G., Lucchini, T., Stagni, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Onorati, A., Ranzi, E. Reduced kinetic mechanisms of diesel fuel surrogate for engine CFD simulations (2015) Combustion and Flame, 162 (10), pp. 3991-4007.
- Frassoldati, A., Grana, R., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Oßwald, P., Kohse-Höinghaus, K., Detailed kinetic modeling of the combustion of the four butanol isomers in premixed low-pressure flames (2012) Combustion and Flame, 159 (7), pp. 2295-2311.
- Dixon-Lewis, G., Marshall, P., Ruscic, B., Burcat, A., Goos, E., Cuoci, A., Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Glarborg, P. Inhibition of hydrogen oxidation by HBr and Br2, (2012) Combustion and Flame, 159 (2), pp. 528-540.
- Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Kohse-Höinghaus, K., Westmoreland, P.R. Kinetic modeling study of ethanol and dimethyl ether addition to premixed low-pressure propene-oxygen-argon flames (2011) Combustion and Flame, 158 (7), pp. 1264-1276.
- Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Kinetic modeling of the oxidation of ethanol and gasoline surrogate mixtures (2010) Combustion Science and Technology, 182 (7), pp. 653-667.
- Frassoldati, A., Sharma, P., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Kinetic and fluid dynamics modeling of methane/hydrogen jet flames in diluted coflow (2010) Applied Thermal Engineering, 30 (4), pp. 376-383.
- Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Niemann, U., Ranzi, E., Seiser, R., Seshadri, K. An experimental and kinetic modeling study of n-propanol and iso-propanol combustion (2010) Combustion and Flame, 157 (1), pp. 2-16.
- Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Colantuoni, S., Martino, P.D., Cinque, G., Experimental and modeling study of a low NOx combustor for aero-engine turbofan (2009) Combustion Science and Technology, 181 (3), pp. 483-495.
- Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E. The ignition, combustion and flame structure of carbon monoxide/hydrogen mixtures. Note 1: Detailed kinetic modeling of syngas combustion also in presence of nitrogen compounds (2007) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 32 (15 SPEC. ISS.), pp. 3471-3485.
- Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., A wide range modeling study of NOx formation and nitrogen chemistry in hydrogen combustion (2006) International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 31 (15), pp. 2310-2328.
- Frassoldati, A., Frigerio, S., Colombo, E., Inzoli, F., Faravelli, T., Determination of NOx emissions from strong swirling confined flames with an integrated CFD-based procedure (2005) Chemical Engineering Science, 60 (11), pp. 2851-2869.
- Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E. Kinetic modeling of the interactions between NO and hydrocarbons at high temperature (2003) Combustion and Flame, 135 (1-2), pp. 97-112.
Tiziano Faravelli, Alessio Frassoldati, Alessio Visentin “Flameless boiler for producing hot water”, 15 May 2013, European patent, nr. EP 2592362 A1
Invited presentations to Internationally Established Conferences and/or international Advanced School
- 2014: Invited speaker at the “Sustainable Aviation Fuels Forum”, 20 - 22 October 2014, Madrid, Spain
- 2013: Invited speaker at the workshop “The International Workshop on Frontiers of Combustion Chemistry” organized by the National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory of the University of Science and Technology of China (September 2013)
- 2012: Invited talk as Keynote Speaker of the Energy Session of the GRICU meeting 2012
Organisation of International Conferences
Member of the Combustion Institute
Member of the Italian Section of the Combustion Institute
Website of the research group: http://creckmodeling.chem.polimi.it/