Roberto Chiesa's scientific activity mainly concerns the study of materials for biomedical applications, in particular for the orthopaedic and dental filed.
In summary, the main topics addressed concern:
- study and development of treatments to improve the biocompatibility of orthopaedic and dental prostheses
- characterization and evaluation of in vivo failures of orthopaedic prostheses;
- minimization of wear phenomena of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) used for orthopaedic hip and knee prostheses, byionizing radiation and proper chemical and physical stabilization treatments
- improvement of the osteointegration of orthopaedic or dental metal implants, through appropriate surface treatments, and study of the influence of these treatments on the mechanical characteristics
- development of antibacterial and biocompatible treatments for implantable prosthetic devices.
The activities listed were carried out both in the framework of national or international research projects, or in direct collaboration with national or international companies.