Maria Elisabetta Brenna was born in Giussano (MB) on 15th August 1965.
- 1984 - 1989: University Education - Universita' degli Studi di Milano (Italy); degree in Chemistry in 1989 (summa cum laude)
- 1990 - 1993: Doctoral study in Chemistry - Universita' degli Studi di Milano (Italy)
- 1993 - 1995: Post-doctoral study in polymer science - Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- 1996 - 2006: Associate Researcher, Dipartimento di Chimica Materiali ed Ingegneria Chimica, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- 2006 - present: Associate Professor, Dipartimento di Chimica Materiali ed Ingegneria Chimica, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- 2010- present: member of the Professors’ Committee of the Doctoral Program in Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering of the Politecnico di Milano
M. E. Brenna has a consolidated experience in the field of organic synthesis, and in the use of enzyme-mediated reactions. She is particularly active in the following fields:
- biocatalysed preparation of the single enantiomers of chiral drugs and fragrances
- application of continuous flow technology in biocatalysis
- biogeneration of flavours
- isolation and structural characterisation of impurities of commercial active pharmaceutical ingredients and pesticides
- application of the SNIF-NMR technique for the assessment of the synthetic origin of flavours and drugs, as a tool for the identification of frauds and counterfeiting, in food and pharma field
Since 2010 she has joined "Istituto di Chimica del Riconoscimento Molecolare (CNR)" to take part into the research project “Synthesis and characterisation of peptides and biologically active compounds” (ICRM-SINTEX).
She is author of more than 130 publications (indexed WOS), two patents, four book chapters. She is editor of the book “Synthetic Methods for Biologically Active Molecules – Exploiting the Potential of Bioreductions”, 2014 - Wiley- VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.