The development of a new material with specific properties or of a new industrial process complying predetermined efficiency and sustainability specifications can always be reformulated in terms of material and energy transformations. Frequently, these latter are fully understood only when they are detailed down to the molecular level, that is, in terms of structures, down to chemical interactions and bonds. This consideration provides solid foundations and strong intellectual cohesion to the Department of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering "Giulio Natta". All its members are intimately convinced that chemistry, materials and life science and technologies significantly are and will be contributing to the development of safe, efficient, economical and sustainable solutions to the major, multidisciplinary challenges that arise in fields such as energy, health, safety, environment and renewable resources.
Our mission at the Department of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering "Giulio Natta" is:
- to conduct high-quality research in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, science and materials engineering and bioengineering, promoting their central role in all the new technologies involving matter and energy transformation;
- to raise, in an intellectually stimulating environment, students aspiring to undertake technical-scientific careers in industry, university, government or as entrepreneurs; this reflects, among other things, in the substantial contribution of Department's faculty members to teaching in all University's Schools, with particular reference to Chemical Engineering Bachelor Degree and Master Degrees in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering and Nanotechnology and Safety and Prevention Engineering in the Process Industry;
- to support the Country's development through technology transfer between academia, industry and government agencies.
The Department of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering "Giulio Natta" aims at being recognized as a leading institution on a local, national and international level:
- for the excellence of its research, at the frontier of chemistry, materials, chemical engineering and bioengineering;
- as a promoter of innovation and sustainable, knowledge-driven growth;
- as an education pole for highly qualified and responsible professionals;
- as an international point of convergence for students, researchers and university professors, to become a fully multi-cultural and multi-national institution.